Being mindful of your food choices, managing your stress, being physically active, avoiding risky substance use, getting plenty of sleep and having a strong emotional support system in your life —are “just what the doctor ordered” to powerfully prevent, treat, and, often, even reverse chronic disease and select autoimmune conditions.
What is Lifestyle Medicine?
Lifestyle medicine is an evidence-based approach to preventing, treating and even reversing diseases by replacing unhealthy behaviors with positive ones —such as eating healthfully, being physically active, managing stress, avoiding risky substance abuse, adequate sleep and having a strong support system.
- Allows the body to protect and heal itself by promoting healthful lifestyle choices
- Educates, guides and supports positive behavior changes
- Places a focus on evidence-based optimal nutrition, stress management, sleep and physical activity
- Encourages active patient participation
- Treats the underlying, lifestyle-related causes of disease
- Uses medications as a supplement to therapeutic lifestyle changes
- Considers the patient’s home and community environment
- Tips for Physical Activity (PDF)
- Community Free Yoga
- Walking Group - Every Tuesday at 11 am at Carolina Mall in Concord
- Walk Cabarrus Website
- Cabarrus Active Living and Parks
Form & Maintain Relationships
Avoid Risky Behaviors
- Tips to Improve Sleep (PDF)
- Links to free sleep apps (Available for iPhone and Android devices)
For more information on Lifestyle Medicine, talk with your healthcare provider about areas of interest.
*Eligibility for Lifestyle Medicine Program at Cabarrus Health Alliance – Must be uninsured and referred by Atrium Health Cabarrus Family Medicine – Kannapolis or the Community Free Clinic – Concord.
If you have any questions about our Lifestyle Medicine program, please contact our Lifestyle Medicine Coordinator, Adaria Russell, MPH - email@example.com