The goals of the Syringe Exchange Program (SEP) are to:
(1) Reduce the risk of transmission of HIV, viral hepatitis, and other blood-borne infections due to injection drug use and sharing of needles, syringes, or other injection equipment;
(2) Decrease the prevalence of improperly-discarded needles and syringes in the community;
(3) Provide a location for and education on safely disposing used sharps;
(4) Promote a comprehensive harm reduction approach to safer use strategies and overdose prevention
practices among people who inject drugs (PWID); and
(5) Facilitate linkage to wraparound services for PWID in Cabarrus County.